Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Reading the Classics



Lately, I have read quite a few classics due to my studies. It has been a very good experience and an introduction to a genre which I found difficult to venture into. That has now changed, when I find that the some of the classic literature, really is great literature. Not all of them are maybe enjoyable to read today, but surprisingly many are. Here some that I enjoyed.

Oedipus Rex by Sofokles - about the man whose prophecy was to kill his father and marry his mother. It made him run away from home to avoid this terrible deed. On his way he killed a man. He continued to the next village and married a widowed queen. He had no idea he was adopted by his family and running away he did end up killing his father and marrying his mother. Just shows you can't get away from your destiny. At least not in the old Greek world. The play is well worth to read.

"Fear? What has a man to do with fear? Chance rules our lives, and the future is all unknown. Best live as we may, from day to day."
"Time, which sees al things, has found you out." 

Medea by Euripides - another gruesome story of the woman who revenged her unfaithful husband, Jason. He left her to marry Glauce, the daughter of king Creon of Corinth. Medea was devastated and killed Glauce and Creon and went on to kill her two children by Jason. At least this is how it happened in Euripides version of this Greek drama. The play is very powerful.

"Stronger than lover's love is lover's hate. Incurable, in each, the wounds they make."

"Of all creatures that can feel and think,
we women are the worst treated things alive." 

The Odyssey by Homer - Odysseus' travels back from the Trojan war is one of the most famous classics together with The Iliad. Odysseus is prevented from returning home by the sea good Poseidon whose son he has killed. After fighting inhuman battles in his efforts to be reunited with his  wife Penelope and his son Telemachus, he finally arrives home. It is not a book for the faint hearted. So much evil to fight against and I think, not even Hollywood can come up with something so sinister as was written thousands of years ago.

“Of all creatures that breathe and move upon the earth, nothing is bred that is weaker than man.” 
“There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep.” 
What do you think about the Classics? Do you read them from time to time?

Comments

  1. I haven't read these since university decades ago. I've got to say the ancients certainly knew how to write up the blood and gore, didn't they!

    Thanks for coming by Marmelade Gypsy. It's always so nice to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did indeed. It is obviously not a new genre.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler